Saturday, October 28, 2006

Farmer Nate

While I have not posted my address here, I suspect most of you have figured it out: a suburban resident of a major city. To say that I lack the skills of an agrarian society would be quite the understatement. My thumb is brown and a few years ago at a stocked pond we were unable to catch a fish.

But our house has an interesting remnant from the last owners – two persimmon trees. Very nice trees and quite the fruit bearers: only one problem – we do not love persimmons. Still last weekend I brought out the ladder and went a picking.

It is a quite a catch – a bag overflowing with a fruit I do not eat. So a little while ago when Carrie gave me a small list from the green grocers (or as they are referred to in our region, the Koreans) it seemed like a perfect opportunity to become a true farmer and profit from our tree.

It was quite the scene at the store – not many people bring in fruit to sell and even less have persimmon trees – but after much looking and back and forth I sold the bag - $10. Now while I like money as much as the next person (and according to Carrie more than most) the $10 will not have an impact on my finances. But I walked out of that store with a shit eating grin on my face, a grin worth far more than the $10 (which was already spent on ingredients for tonight’s dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's for dinner? -JM

Nate said...

Hey JM - send me an e-mail sometime- Who are you:)

Being you asked, Carrie cannot help herself. A simple dinner with close friends has become (all homemade):

Stuffed fried wontons
Squash Soup
Roast Beef
Mashed potatoes
A medley of winter veggies (squash things)
Oriental snow peas and shitake mushrooms

Red or white wine

Desert to be supplied by our friends.