Friday, January 20, 2006

Taking the Leap

Looking back I have taken the leap twice. The first was probably 25 years ago. My girlfriend had been semi-living with me for five years and things were not going swimmingly. One year at a client’s holiday party – a mega-event for 100 plus – I was hanging out with my partner and a girl who I had become friends (just friends) with. They had a raffle and we all laid out our tickets in front of my friend; we went three for three. My raffle ended up being 2 orchestra seats for 42nd Street on Broadway.

Now I had a dilemma. I was sort of living with someone, not particularly happily at the time, and I had won the ticket with another girl who I really liked. (In the you cannot make it up category, as I am typing and listening to the iPod on shuffle the J Geils song Angel in Blue just came on – that was the song that I and the “other” girl shared – I’m in awe of the Gods of music.) As you can guess, after much consultation with my friends, I decided to take my new friend to 42nd Street. Figured it could be like the defibrillator – shock me and my girlfriend back into sync – or just be a bomb that would blow it up.

It was the beginning of the end for that relationship, which was a good thing as it turned out. I ended being friends for a number of years with the “other” girl, and the play was great.

1 comment:

sxuly yrs said...

It is amazing how music can spark a memory!

-Andi