Friday, March 24, 2006

Near Death Moments

As anyone reading this knows, I am now Nate. A simple enough fact. You all have also figured out that I am so deep in the closet at work, I couldn't find the door with a map.

We have cool computers here and when I get an e-mail at my work address that little outlook box superimposes on the bottom right corner of the screen.

Now I know I should be fully into my work - this is a busy time - but I have my new gmail account and sometimes I check it during the day. So this morning I am checking my gmail - or maybe I should say Nate is checking his gmail and the little outlook box flickers on - an e-mail from a colleague:

"Who does Nate get charged to?"

I am having a heart attack. I am in panic mode. I reflexively delete the incoming message and then cannot find it. I then realize it is in my deleted items. I read it again.


"Who does Nate get charged to?"

It's still there. After another minute or two of shear terror, I realize. This colleague had been working on a client with a very similar name and had gotten one letter wrong.

I present this for the humor, but as I write I realize it is a commentary on closets - what a horrible way generations of gay people have been forced to live.

3 comments:

Ian said...

And I can tell by the way you're searching
For something you can't even name
That you haven't been able to come to the table
Simply glad that you came

And when you feel like this try to imagine
That we're all like frail boats on the sea
Just scanning the night for that great guiding light
Announcing the jubilee

Mary Chapin Carpenter
Jubilee


Take Care and Be Safe,
Ian

Nate said...

I downloaded the song (legally - Mary deserves my money) and a dozen listenings later, I am still without words. As Ian knew, the song needs no commentary.

woe said...

I read that and my heart stopped for you.